text size:
When is enough, enough?
Mar 14, 2004 20:50 ETBack | Print Article
I have my father and brother who are both drug addicts. How come no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get them help? I've asked many professionals in the Mental Health Field to try to get them forced into rehabiliation, and the answer I received from all of them was -You can do nothing, unless they want to change. And if they aren't going to change you will have to wait for them to mess up (get into trouble with the law) or basically until they overdose. Anyone who does drugs will always say "I don't have a drug problem." Drug addicts are in denial or they just don't want to admit they have a problem. However, there is the Mental Health Act that will step in and force them to go, but that's only if they are extreme circumstances, the professionals said. How extreme must their drug problem be for them to get help? They say, that families cannot force someone to go into rehab, because of their human rights. I think when a person is addicted to drugs they have no mind left, no longer in touch with reality and no longer themselves. So why I can't I protect who my father and brother once were before they did drugs? I couldn't force my brother and father into rehab and because of that they did something horrible and are in jail awaiting their sentence. I had to sit and watch both of them crumble. I am not against the system, but I want the system to start working with the families of somone who does drugs, because not only is the person doing drugs a victim, but so are their families. I went down with my father and brother the day they were arrested. And I will be a victim all over again.
I think the law, police officers,etc. would have less cases of crimes/arrests if a drug addicts' family could help them out (send them to rehab away from their drugs), before their drug problem got out of hand.

Editor's Note:
As frustrating and painful as it is to watch a loved one "crumble" from drug use, addicts cannot be forced to rehabilitate against their will. Support is available to families through various agencies and hospitals in Durham Region. If you have not yet attended a support group, call your family doctor or the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health at (416) 595-6111.