||The following principles tell those who work in the criminal justice system how victims and witnesses should be treated and what information should be made available to them:
- To be treated with courtesy, compassion, and respect for their personal dignity and privacy,
- To have access to informaton concerning services and remedies available to victims,
- To have access to information about the progress of the criminal investigation, prosecution, sentencing and interim release of offenders from custody,
- To have the opportunity to be interviewed by police officers of the same gender when the victim has been sexually assaulted,
- To have their property returned as quickly as possible when it is no longer needed for investigation, trial or appeal,
- To have access to information about the conditional release of offenders from custody, including parole, temporary absence or escape custody,
- To have access to information about pleas, pre-trial discussions and their role in the prosecution.