Preventing crime and maintaining safe communities is everyone's responsibility. By practising the following personal and property safety tips, you can help reduce the incidents of crime and keep your community safe.
Tips for Business
To minimize the chance of your business being robbed:
- Keep windows clear of signage for better visibility.
- Keep clutter away from front windows.
- Make sure the cash register area can be seen from the street or the outside.
- Raise the cash register so patrons have to look up at the teller.
- Keep the cash register locked when not ringing in a sale and/or away from the till.
- Aisles should be low enough to see over.
- Install video cameras to monitor all areas of the business.
- Greet and make eye contact with all customers who enter your premises.
- Be aware of people watching the business or loitering outside.
- Inform police of suspicious people or vehicles.
- Make deposits often and vary routes and times when making them. Install a drop safe, if possible.
- Place a “limited Cash on Hand” decal on the window of the business.
- At night, ensure interior and exterior areas are well lit, replacing burnt out bulbs immediately.
- Ensure that all staff is aware of policies and procedures regarding safe practices.
- Report any suspicious person or activity immediately. Network with other businesses and create a business watch program.
- Control entry to your business. Everyone should enter and exit through a monitored entrance. Keep all other doors locked.
- Put height markers on door trim to help with descriptions.
- Do not allow customers or non-employees enter the business after hours.
Identifying a robber to police
• Try to notice abnormalities, speech problems or scars
• Notice type of build, or estimate weight
• Notice type and colour of clothing worn
• Observe direction in which suspects leave and try to get a description of the vehicle from any witnesses and write down the license number
• Be able to describe the size, type and colour of guns or any other weapons used in the robbery