Members of the Durham Regional Police were singled out Oct. 22nd for their heroism, quick thinking and bravery at the prestigious 7th Annual Police Appreciation Dinner and Awards Night (PADAN).
Organizing co-chairs Moe Pringle and Blair McArthur thanked every member of the police service for making a difference in the community.
This year, awards were presented to:
* Constables Anthony Bowers, Ed Downey, Jamie Elliott and Civilian Member Greg Hulme for working together to track robbery suspects from Bowmanville to Toronto using teamwork between Air1 and ground units
* Detective Jeff Caplan for his nationally-recognized work in busting card skimming operations
* Constables Kevin Dunlop and Sgt. Dave Mounsteven with K-9 partners Magnum and Kane for locating an 83-year-old Whitby man who had spent 16 hours outside in winter conditions.
* The Criminal Intelligence Branch for Project Falcon – one of the largest cocaine seizures in Canadian history in which 376 kilograms of cocaine was seized worth over $54 million.
* Constable John Parkinson for battling with a distressed man who assaulted him with a fire extinguisher but successfully rescuing two children from the apartment
* Constable Scott Dargie for responding to Durham’s first triple homicide and ending the violent rampage of a disturbed man before a fourth life was claimed.
Congratulations and thank you to all the recipients for truly making a difference in our community.
One highlight of the night was a speech from 10-year-old Luke Stichhaller, our Police Chief for a Day, who impressed the crowd when he presented his essay about what it would be like to be a police officer.
Another highlight was the presentation of the Kevin McAlpine Lifetime Achievement Award to Deputy Chief Chuck Mercier, who is retiring at the end of this year after an illustrious 32-year policing career. Former Chief McAlpine personally presented the award to Chuck Mercier during a very emotional ceremony on stage.
Thumb (JPG file, 48.4K bytes)
Chuck Receives Award From Ret. Chief McAlpine (JPG file, 169.6K bytes)
Group Shot of Award Winners (JPG file, 182.0K bytes)
Chief for A Day Addresses Crowd (JPG file, 129.5K bytes)
Project Falcon Award Presentation (JPG file, 156.3K bytes)
Constable Scott Dargie Receives Award (JPG file, 182.5K bytes)