Throughout the month of April, DRP officers will be out enforcing the 2010 Provincial Spring Seatbelt Safety Campaign.
The campaign began April 14 and is targeted at drivers and passengers who are not wearing seatbelts. If caught, a person can be fined up to $235 and receive two demerit points.
DRP is participating in this campaign, which runs until April 24, in partnership with the OPP and the Ministry of Transportation as well as other police services across the province. The purpose of this initiative is to encourage people to wear their seatbelts and prevent injury. Police will also be focusing on child restraints as many child seats are used but installed improperly.
Keep in mind the following tips when getting ready to hit the road:
• Make it a habit to fasten your seatbelt as soon as you get in your vehicle
• When installing a child seat, make sure to follow the directions accurately
• Ensure there are enough seatbelts in the vehicle for the number of passengers you are carrying
• Never allow passengers to share seatbelts
• Ensure you are wearing your seatbelt correctly across your chest, as wearing it improperly, may cause injury in a collision
A drop-in clinic will be held on Wednesday, April 21 for anyone who is interested in having their child seat inspected for safety. The clinic will take place at the Whitby Fire Department on McKinney Drive from 12:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m.
seatbelt (JPG file, 9.2K bytes)
Cst. Amy Jackson enforces seatbelt safety (JPG file, 414.3K bytes)