Smart Commute Durham held its annual “Bike to Work Day” workshop on May 30, 2011. Staged at Durham Regional Headquarters, members of the public were welcomed from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. to enjoy various activities and seminars on the value of active commuting, such as walking and cycling.
DRP Cst. Esther Rathwell joined Smart Commute to provide bike safety tips to the public, and while Bike to Work Day is about having fun, she reminds us to be safe riding our bikes.
“We want to make sure everyone wears the proper equipment, knows the rules of the road and keeps aware of their surroundings at all time,” said Cst. Rathwell. “Always remember to wear a helmet, have reflective red and white decals, check your brakes and bring water. These small precautions will make sure the time on your bike is an enjoyable one.”
Oshawa Bike Week also begins May 30, and encourages people to ride around some of Durham’s most beautiful places. The following is a list of cycling events this week:
• May 30 – Bike Fair, Oshawa Thorton Campus – 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
• May 31 – Ride to Parkwood, Parkwood Estate – 11:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
• June 1 – Bike Night, Oshawa Thorton Campus – 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
• June 3 – Ride with the Mayor, Lakefront West Park – 11:45 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
• June 4 – Ride to Second Marsh, McGlaughlin Bay – 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
This year marks the fifth year that Smart Commute Durham has held the Bike to Work Day. For more information, visit the Smart Commute Durham website.
Bike thumb (JPG file, 37.6K bytes)
Cst. Rathwell and Dan from Impala's Bicycling give instruction on bike safety (JPG file, 369.4K bytes)