In light of recent arrests in two fraud investigations, Durham Region Police would like to take some time to offer these safety tips when shopping online.
• Most classified ad websites do not review the content before it is posted to the site so buyer beware
• Ensure all transactions take place in-person
• Never attend a location on your own. Make sure you bring someone with you or meet in a public place
• Don’t mail cheques or use online payment services. One your money is transferred, it’s gone. There are no protection programs in place in case it is a fraud or a scam
• Do not give out your personal or banking information online
• Use common sense. If something seems too good to be true, it usually is. Don’t believe offers of cash in exchange for your assistance
What should you do if you’ve been targeted?
• Call PhoneBusters at 1-888-495-8501. A call centre operated by the Ontario Provincial Police and RCMP to report criminal telemarketing activity
• Contact the Competition Bureau of Industry Canada at 1-800-348-5358
• Contact the Durham Regional Police Service at 905-579-1520
fraud (JPG file, 27.5K bytes)