16 Durham Region citizens were recognized for their bravery and commitment to public safety at the 2003 Civilian Appreciation Awards today.
Held as part of the Durham Regional Council meeting in Whitby, Regional Chair Roger Anderson joined local mayors, DRPSB Chair Robert Boychyn and Chief Kevin McAlpine in praising the heroism of the award recipients.
Recognized for their efforts were:
- Frank Pelligra for rescuing snowmobilers fallen through the icy waters of Lake Scugog in December 2002.
- Robert Robbins and Jim Washbrook for detaining a suspect who slammed his vehicle into a steel barrier and ran away.
- Christian Peterson, who followed coffee store bandits in Pickering and forwarded a license plate number to police, resulting in an arrest.
- Joseph Glover, owner/operator of the IGA store in the Lake Vista Plaza in South Oshawa, who made sure several needy families received a joyous Christmas dinner through his generous donations to the annual Christmas Food Drive.
- Jennifer Dodd and Jon Scharf, who chased down a convenience store robber in Oshawa on foot and held him until police arrived. A 13-inch knife was seized from the accused. The detainment of the suspect also helped solve an earlier robbery.
- Pauline Broome, who broke up a vicious assault in Oshawa and provided first aid to the victim. Her detailed description of the suspects led to two arrests.
- Tamara Komonka and Velisha Woodcock, for keen observation skills that helped police identify and capture a suspect wanted by police on a variety of charges.
- Sheryl Barrett, for writing down the description of a vehicle that led to the arrest of a male who has been charged with sexually assaulting a 26-year-old developmentally challenged woman.
Also recognized for their contribution in the same arrest were Nevina Crisante, Sandra Cummins and Filomena Rehob, who assisted police in identifying the location of the escapee hiding in a backyard.
Chief McAlpine praised all recipients for their efforts and said police could not be as effective as they are without the daily assistance of citizens.
Below are attached files.
thumbnail (JPG file, 6.4K bytes)
Photo of Award Recipient (JPG file, 20.0K bytes)
Group Shot of Five Award Recipients (JPG file, 21.8K bytes)