Cyber Monday is upon us and we would like to remind holiday shoppers to be extra vigilant during the festive season.
When online shopping follow these important tips:
• Only shop from trusted websites and sources.
• Never give away additional personal information, such as your birthday or SIN. Retailers don’t need it for you to make an online purchase.
• Use sites with HTTPS:// in their address bar, not just HTTP://. There should also be a picture of a lock in the taskbar to show the site is secure.
• Create strong passwords that are hard to figure out. Password123 or your birthday aren’t going to cut it.
• Don’t do holiday shopping from a public computer.
• Check and double check your statements to ensure only your purchases are on it.
• Purchase gift cards directly from the source. Fraudulent cards are sold by scammers every day.
The rush of holiday purchases increases the opportunity for criminals to take advantage of you and your online shopping habits. If you find that your card has been compromised, please contact our non-emergency number at 1-888-579-1520 to file a report. Hopefully, if you follow the tips above, you’ll ensure a safe, secure and happy holiday season.
cyber thumb (JPG file, 15.9K bytes)