During recent months, Durham Regional Police have noticed an increase in counterfeit currency right across the region.
We are asking retailers to be especially aware of counterfeit American currency that is being circulated in our local communities. Merchants should be extra diligent when accepting American currency. The main notes being used are $20, $50 and $100.
Although not every bill will be fraudulent, its important to keep some tips in mind to protect yourself and your business:
* Be sure to educate staff about the security features found on currency
* Re-visit your store policies when it comes to accepting American currency
* Watch for customers making small purchases with large bills
* Never become involved in an altercation with a potential suspect, your safety always comes first
* Contact police with any suspicions
Please see attached "Know Your Money" document for some security features to watch for. You can also visit the Bank of Canada website for examples of fraudulent currency and additional information.
If you suspect counterfeit currency has been passed at your store or you witness someone attempting to pass fraudulent currency, please contact police right away at 1-888-579-1520 ext. 6234.
If you would like more information or have general questions about fraudulent currency please contact D/Cst. Hoover at 1-888-579-1520 ext. 5352.
Currency (JPG file, 106.0K bytes)
Know your money document (PDF file, 2,470.5K bytes)