The summer is in full swing and DRPS officers would like to remind residents about some common warm weather scams.
Many companies will be going door to door promoting landscaping, new windows, interlock work and driveway paving jobs. Although there are many legitimate organizations operating door-to-door, there have been many reports of fraudulent companies and individuals using fraudulent practices and high pressure tactics.
In some cases residents have been offered quotes that dramatically increase once the work is completed. The scammers may appear very professional with a crew of staff and a fleet of work vehicles. It's important to keep a few tips in mind before handing over any cash or signing a contract:
* Always get a minimum of three quotes from contractors for a project before going forward
* Insist the contractor provides references and be sure to follow up with them
* Research contractors or companies online
* Be wary of over inflated down payments
* If a deal appears too good to be true it usually is
Unfortunately the majority of fraud related activity is not reported. If you have information regarding these scammers or feel you have been a victim of a fraudulent contractor please contact the DRPS Major Fraud Organized Crime Section at 1-888-579-1520 ext. 5702.
Anonymous information can be sent to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or www.durhamregionalcrimestoppers.ca and tipsters may be eligible for a $2,000 cash reward.
Door to Door (JPG file, 257.8K bytes)