As students celebrate the March Break this week, families are invited to the Kids' Safety Village in Whitby on March 15, 2016 to enjoy some free activities and learn about safety too.
Co-ordinated by Ontario Power Generation (OPG) as a part of its March Break Madness series of events, families will have the opportunity to explore the kid-sized neighbourhood and take part in activities and crafts. Last year over 900 people attended the annual event.
While learning about road safety and traffic signals kids will have the chance to ride battery-operated four-wheelers through the mini-streets of the Kids' Safety Village. Train and water safety will also be taught through hands-on activities. Kids will also learn about calling 911 and take part in craft activities.
OPG, DRPS, GO Transit and Whitby Fire also support this fun and free educational event that takes place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Residents can also mark their calendars for the Easter Eggstravaganza being held Saturday, March26, 2015, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. This free event will feature many activities, including an Easter egg hunt, balloons and face painting. Non-perishable food items are always welcome.
DRPS would also like to remind parents of some important safety tips as children celebrate March break this year:
* If left home alone, ensure your children know who to contact in case of an emergency. Always leave a number that you can be reached at
* Children left at home alone should never answer the door or telephone
* Look into local community activities your kids can participate in. Many community centres have added programs and babysitting services to help through March Break
* Make sure you complete reference checks on any potential babysitters you may use over the holidays. Find out their level of experience and any training courses they may have taken
* Go over Internet safety tips with your kids as they may be online more often during the week. Keep the computer in the family room and make sure they don't give out any personal information
* Work with family and friends to help organize day trips and activities
Help us ensure our youngsters have a safe and enjoyable break!
March Break Madness (JPG file, 370.7K bytes)