As students celebrate the March Break next week, families are invited to the Kids Safety Village in Whitby on Tuesday March 14, 2017 to enjoy some free activities and learn about safety.
Co-ordinated by Ontario Power Generation (OPG) as a part of its March Break Madness series of events, families will have the opportunity to explore the kid-sized neighbourhood and take part in activities and crafts.
While learning about road safety and traffic signals, kids can ride battery-operated four-wheelers through the mini-streets of the Kids Safety Village. Train and water safety will also be taught through hands-on activities. OPG, DRPS, GO Transit and Whitby Fire also support this fun and free educational event that takes place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The village is located at 1129 Athol Street Whitby
Residents can mark their calendars for the Easter Eggstravaganza being held Saturday, April 15, 2017, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. This free event will feature many activities, including an Easter egg hunt, balloons and face painting. Non-perishable food items are always welcome.
DRPS would also like to remind parents of some important safety tips as children celebrate March break this year:
* If left home alone, ensure your children know who to contact in case of an emergency. Always leave a number that you can be reached at
* Children left at home alone should never answer the door or telephone
* Look into local community activities your kids can participate in. Many community centres have added programs and babysitting services to help through March Break
* Make sure you complete reference checks on any potential babysitters you may use over the holidays. Find out their level of experience and any training courses they may have taken
* Go over Internet safety tips with your kids as they may be online more often during the week. Keep the computer in the family room and make sure they don't give out any personal information
* Work with family and friends to help organize day trips and activities
Help us ensure our youngsters have a safe and enjoyable break!
March Break Madness (JPG file, 1,247.3K bytes)