As March Break gets underway, DRPS would like to remind residents that the Kids' Safety Village in Whitby will be closed until the end of June for construction upgrades.
Popular events at the village including March Break Madness and the Easter Eggstravaganza will unfortunately be cancelled this year as the Village undergoes improvements. Regular programming is expected to resume in September. Visit here for updates and information.
DRPS would like to remind parents of these important safety tips while their children are off for March Break:
* If left home alone, ensure your children know who to contact in case of an emergency. Always leave a number that you can be reached at
* Children left at home alone should never answer the door or telephone
* Look into local community activities your kids can participate in. Many community centres have added programs and babysitting services to help through March Break
* Make sure you complete reference checks on any potential babysitters you may use over the holidays. Find out their level of experience and any training courses they may have taken
* Go over Internet safety tips with your kids as they may be online more often during the week.
* Work with family and friends to help organize day trips and activities
Just a reminder if you're travelling this week, make sure you designate a neighbour to pick up mail and newspapers and consider timers for lighting in your home. Avoid posting on social media while you are out of town, as this gives criminals the heads up that you are out of town. Take the time to disconnect and upload your pictures on your return.
DRPS wishes everyone a safe and enjoyable March Break.
Kids' Safety Village (JPG file, 7,667.7K bytes)